Beginners Sewing: Anyone Can Make a Dress in a Day
- London, N15 5NH
- (Exact address will be provided after booking)
This six-hour class offers tuition in techniques for constructing a dress using a pattern, as well as sewing darts, using an overlocker, inserting an invisible zip and sewing facings.
All fabrics and zips are included, just bring yourselves! (....and maybe a packed lunch, or there are cafes and Sainsbury's nearby)
- Intro to the sewing machine – threading
- Identifying and rectifying sewing problems
- Introduction to Commercial Patterns – the different brands and difficulty
- How to read a commercial pattern
- Understanding your measurements
- Fabrics – understanding fabric types and their qualities
- Calculating and understanding fabric consumption
- Important questions to ask your fabric supplier
- Preparing fabrics ready for sewing
- How to lay your pattern pieces correctly
- How to cut out correctly
- Marking your pattern pieces ready for sewing
- Sewing bust and waist darts – what can go wrong?
- Using pins correctly
- Pressing / ironing professionally
- Using the overlocker for a professional finish
- Inserting an invisible zip
LUNCHTIME (30-45 Mins)
- Facings – what are they used for
- Interlinings / Interfacing and its uses
- Attaching facings, and sewing around curves (armholes and necklines)
- Understanding seam allowances
- Pressing techniques
This workshop is aimed at beginners making their first garment, and we work with standard sizes 4 - 24.
The focus of this workshop is to teach you the dressmaking skills needed to be confident for you to try this at home.
This workshop does not focus on fitting, or made-to-measure garments. We do offer other workshops in these more advanced techniques. Which you will be able to advance to once you have learnt the basics.
It is advised that workshoppers complete the Intro to Sewing workshop beforehand, or have used a sewing machine before. as you will find this workshop easier to manage.
Once you have made a booking, we will send out a size chart for you to select your size from. It is important that you check your emails and spam folder, so you can request a specific size.
It is also advisable to provide a mobile number, should we need to contact you.
If you do not request a specific size, on the day you will be able to select from random sizes on our reserves rail.
Please note: Doors close 15 minutes after the start time.
- All fabrics and zips included, just bring yourselves! (....and maybe a packed lunch, or there are cafes and Sainsbury's nearby)
- Fun, creative workshop with dressmaking experts
- Meet other creative types
Book Your Spot£59 per adult
Tickets refundable up to 48 hrs before event