Beginners Sewing: Anyone Can Make a Dress in a Day
- London, N15 5NH
- (Exact address will be provided after booking)
All fabrics and zips are included, just bring yourselves! (....and maybe a packed lunch, or there are cafes and Sainsbury's nearby)
1. Intro to the sewing machine – threading
2. Identifying and rectifying sewing problems
1. Introduction to Commercial Patterns – the different brands and difficulty
2. How to read a commercial pattern
3. Understanding your measurements
4. Fabrics – understanding fabric types and their qualities
5. Calculating and understanding fabric consumption
6. Important questions to ask your fabric supplier
7. Preparing fabrics ready for sewing
8. How to lay your pattern pieces correctly
9. How to cut out correctly
10. Marking your pattern pieces ready for sewing
1. Sewing bust and waist darts – what can go wrong?
2. Using pins correctly
3. Pressing / ironing professionally
4. Using the overlocker for a professional finish
5. Inserting an invisible zip
LUNCHTIME (30-45 Mins)
1. Facings – what are they used for
2. Interlinings / Interfacing and its uses
3. Attaching facings, and sewing around curves (armholes and necklines)
4. Understanding seam allowances
5. Pressing techniques
Once you have completed the dress workshop, we will send out our ‘Suppliers List’. Which lists all of the websites, stores and shops, listing all of the suppliers we use at The Fashion Box. To help you on your sewing journey with obtaining your commercial patterns, fabrics and haberdashery. A treasure trove of hidden gems!
There will be a selection of different fabric styles to choose from in your workshop. As there is not time for everyone to cut out individual dresses, these are prepared for you, so please inform us of your dress size beforehand.
Please note: This workshop is aimed at beginners making their first garment, and we work with standard sizes 4 - 24. (Please message us with your size before attending the workshop.)
The focus of this workshop is to teach you the dressmaking skills needed to be confident for you to try this at home.
This workshop does not focus on fitting, or made-to-measure garments. We do offer other workshops in these more advanced techniques.
It is advised that workshoppers complete the "Anyone can use a Sewing Machine" Workshop first or have been on a sewing machine before.
All measurements are in inches
The style of dress is a shift dress.
From Butterick pattern 5768
Please note that the measurements shown are for the finished garment. You will need some ‘wiggle’ room.
Size Bust Waist Hip
4. 32. 30. 34
6. 33. 31. 35
8 35. 32. 36
10. 36. 34. 37
12. 38. 35. 39
14. 40. 37. 41
16. 42. 39. 43
18. 44. 42. 44
20. 46. 44. 46
22. 48. 46. 48
24. 49. 47. 50
If you are coming up bigger than your retail size, this is quite normal, as dressmaking patterns usually come up smaller.
If you are in-between sizes, then go for the larger size.
Terms and conditions: 48hr cancellation policy
Doors close 15 minutes after the start time, and late comers will not be permitted, as we will be busy teaching and cannot leave machine users unsupervised.
We do not allow reschedules / refunds on the day of the booking or outside of the 48hr cancellation policy, or to late arrivals
If you cannot attend on the day, you are more than welcome to send someone
else in your place.
- All fabrics and zips included, just bring yourselves! (....and maybe a packed lunch, or there are cafes and Sainsbury's nearby)
- Fun, creative workshop with dressmaking experts
- Meet other creative types
Book Your Spot£59 per adult
Tickets refundable up to 4 hrs before event